'Just one small positive thought in a match can change your whole game'
Claremont Tennis Club today ...
- 8 well maintained all weather tennis courts
- 2 floodlit tennis courts
- a practice wall
- participates in league
- strong social play
- a court booking system
- caters for visitors
- refreshments bar + indoor and outdoor braai facilities
- adequate cloakrooms
- leases courts to a coaching school
Claremont Tennis Club was founded in 1908
Founded by the then mayor of Claremont, Mr CW Stewart Neave, consisting of just three tennis courts. Annual subscriptions were 1 Pound 10 Shillings for gentlemen and 1 Pound for ladies. It was established before the Boy Scouts (1917) and the adjoining Claremont Bowling Club (1923). The courts, all of which were gravel courts, were abandoned during the winter and members had to cut their way through the bush to get to the courts for the summer season. Due to lack of proper drainage, play was often not possible until the October months. Lady members had no voice in the management of the club.